Health Insurance for International Students
StudentSecure is international student health insurance designed to meet the needs of full-time students and scholars studying outside of their home country. We offer four levels of coverage—Elite, Select, Budget, and Smart—so you can choose the plan that best fits your client’s needs and budget.
All four plan levels meet or exceed most government and visa requirements, including J-1 visa requirements. (Note that F-1 visas do not have a health insurance requirement.)
StudentSecure plans also meet the requirements of many schools.
Why Do International Students Need Health Insurance?
If your client is planning to study abroad, there are three key reasons why they may need international student health insurance:
- Visa/Proof of Subsistence: Most countries require incoming international students to possess a visa. Many visas require proof of subsistence for expenses incurred while traveling.
- School or Program Requirements: Many schools and study abroad programs require students to purchase health insurance for their time abroad.
- Unexpected Medical Costs: Your client’s domestic health plan may provide little or no coverage abroad. A student health plan can reduce expenses resulting from unexpected medical costs.
Over 5 million higher education students studied abroad in 2018, according to the Project Atlas 2018 initiative from the Institute of International Education (IIE).
Data from the institute’s 2018 Open Doors Report reveals that 1,094,792 of these international students studied in the U.S. from 2017-2018.
Who Can Purchase StudentSecure Insurance?
StudentSecure applicants must be residing outside their home country for the purpose of pursuing an international education. They must not have obtained residency status in their host country.
Applicants must also meet one of the following conditions:
- Applicant is a full-time student at a college, university, or secondary school abroad – excluding online colleges and universities
- Applicant is within 31 days of being a full-time student at a college, university, or secondary school abroad
- Applicant is a full-time scholar affiliated with an educational institution abroad who spends at least 30 hours per week working or researching
Note for Applicants Visiting the United States:
Applicants traveling to the U.S. must hold a valid education-related visa. We may require proof of the I-20 or DS-2019.
The full-time student/scholar requirement is waived for participants within the U.S. who hold a valid F1 or J1 visa (this includes students on OPT). Full-time status requirements remain in effect for individuals holding M-1 or other category visas.